Monday, June 27, 2011

Taper Week 1

I made it to the taper weeks! Woohoo! I have looked ahead in my training so many times and have looked at the taper wondering if I would make it and now its here. I did my last really long workout yesterday, a long run. I ran a little over 12 miles and for the most part I felt great.

I am proud of myself for sticking to the training program for 18 weeks so far and for dedicating so much of my time and energy towards this race. No matter what happens on race day I know I couldn't have done much more to prepare for this race. My body has impressed me as well as annoyed me, but mostly I have been happy with my training and the preparation for this race. There have been countless early mornings, long evenings, and tired days because of all this working out, but hopefully come July 9 it will all be worth it.

I was supposed to take today off because Saturday which is usually my day off I had to be on an indoor cycle for about 3 hours! I was getting my Group Cycling Instructor Certification and we all taught about 15 min each and the instructor took us through an hour ride as well. Then Sunday I needed to get my long run in and today I teach spinning. Tomorrow is just an open water swim and then I think I will take Wednesday off and then Saturday off. Other then that no other days off besides the day before the race!

I will update again when the second week of taper begins and again closer to the race. For now I am trying not to be too anxious about the race but that is proving near impossible! I am freaking out;)

This week of taper still has a couple long-ish workouts, but nothing too taxing and then next week is very light, with small run through's of each sport (like tiny little triathlons) to keep every thing fresh.

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought...how about looking at it more as your event and less as a "race." That way you might get less caught up in the hoopla and run, ride and swim your own event. When I'm preparing for an Event and I hear RACE my heart starts beating faster and I get all worked up. In the end, you will be pacing yourself one stroke, one pedal stroke and then one step at a time. It's how you get from the start to the finish. We'll be thinking of you that day with all sorts of good thoughts! Enjoy the taper...

    Love, Jaquelin and Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the taper! I think there is no better feeling then knowing you're prepared for an event like this and you know you are ready. You are there!!! Rooting for you on the 9th, best of luck and all the best. Bob

    ReplyDelete