Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 weeks....

Holy Moly this is really happening and soon! I cannot believe I have one more week of hard training and then a 2 week taper. I feel ready but so scared. This race has forced me to sacrifice time with friends, time with family, sleep, etc. I know it will be worth it when I cross the finish line, so that has pushed me through. I did a long run in the heat yesterday and I found myself repeating some mantra's over and over again that I know I will use during the run on race day to get myself through.

I also found out the race is going to start at 8am, instead of 7am, which isn't a huge difference I know, but it just means one more hour of heat later in the day during the run. I don't know why they changed the time, but basically I will be starting a half marathon around 1:00pm in July---not my idea of a good time, but what can I do?

I am happy I have stuck through this training and know that I have put my body through a lot of challenges and for the most part it has risen to the challenges. I have never had so many mornings where I have woken up sore only to try and remember what workout made me sore only to have to go back and do the same thing again to my legs. I always work out a lot and so I didn't think I would notice a lot of changes in my body, but I do know I have thighs of steel now thanks to all the biking I am sure. Also my arms and shoulders have gotten stronger thanks to all the swimming! The only thing I have gotten from all the running is some blisters, sore feet, and messed up toe nails.

This coming week I have a three hour ride followed by a run and a short ride followed by a 2 hour run on the schedule. I am also going to try to get an open water swim in this week or early next week just because I like them:)

The countdown is on...20 days!!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are ready. IT is a bummer that they delayed the start an hour, makes a difference on that mid day run. Hydration, nutrition and not out pacing yourself is key...you know this! It's hard to stay to your own
    pace when you are in the pack and the adrenalin is running but that can be the most important part of something like this. I relate to those quads of steel from all our biking and open water swimming. As you know, open water swims use more of the body than the pool. We're with you! It's going to be great! Love, Jaquelin

    ReplyDelete