Sunday, January 9, 2011

Running and Gear

I have been running a lot lately, because its my go-to exercise and its so easy to get out the door and run. Its been very cold though and snowy too, which makes it more challenging at times, but still feels very good when I am done. Friday I ran three miles with Luna (our 9 month old Husky) and it was snowing lightly and very pretty. Today I ran 6 miles. I layered and was warm enough and had a good run!

On to gear...Triathlons require some gear, some you can do without, and some is just fun to have! Paul and I are going to invest in a Garmin GPS/heart rate watch. We both run enough even when not training for an event that we will get a lot of use out of this. It will be cool to be able to train knowing my heart rate because I don't want to be anaerobic and I don't want to go too easy either. I am excited to get it and start using it. My aunt Jaquelin is a big biker and swimmer and runner and is going to let me borrow some gear including a helmet ( I have a helmet, but its pretty beat up and falling apart), some bike shorts, and some tri tops! YAY! I have a bike I bought from my neighbor and of course I have goggles, a cap, and suit.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Steph! I know it is hard to train in the cold weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie. This is Leslie's sister. Let me know if I can be of any help with your training (bike fitting, HR issues, etc.) Which IM are you registered for? I use the Garmin 305, which is bulky, but I love it. I also used the Garmin FX60, which is OK but nowhere near as gatchety and fun as the 305.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just noticed you left a comment for me on my blog. Funny coincidence. My email is cindypope@gmail.com. I'll look into the Muncie race. It's got to at least be flat, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy we ended up getting a Garmin Forerunner 405cx. Its really nice and not bulky at all:) I haven't had any long runs or rides yet, but its been fun to use on short runs and in spinning class and spinning inside. I can't wait to get outside! I am swimming with a swim team that had a TRI team too, so I will swim and run with them tomorrow...supposed to be about 10 degrees---brrr! Thanks for the comment and I will email you with any questions.

    ReplyDelete