Monday, May 9, 2011

"Mini" disaster

Oh I am so clever with this title! I ran the Indianapolis Mini Marathon on Saturday--or least attempted to. It was a last minute decision which I usually never do...I am a planner and don't like to do things last minute but I totally thought this would be fine.

Anyway Saturday morning got up, ate, drank, started the race. It was cool and cloudy so nice running weather. I ran the first 7 miles no problem. Then I got to about the 8th mile and started to feel a little dizzy and weird. So, I walked through a water station to see if that would help but I almost fell down. So I went over to the medical people nearby and basically fell on them. They took my blood pressure and it was really high. So, I sat down and took deep breaths and tried to relax. I felt better once I sat down and chilled out. They took my blood pressure again and it had gone down but not to where it should be. I felt ok and was told that it would be over 2 hours before the medical bus would get me back to the finish line. So, I started walking and then started running just to get done! I finished in 2:35 minutes which was about 30 minutes slower then I wanted to be, but at least I had finished.

I was really upset over what had happened and felt like I shouldn't be training for this half ironman...I was a sobbing mess. So the next day I felt better about everything and went on a planned bike ride with a friend and it was really nice. Perfect weather, no traffic, chatted the whole time. Very refreshing!

I feel good physically but it was pretty scary to feel that way while running and knowing how much work I have put into this training so far and how much is still to come I was freaking out. I am going to the doctor later this week to make sure there isn't a serious concern with my health, but in the meantime I am continuing my training.

So, hopefully it was just dehydration and the fact that I was probably running too fast made my body react like that. I am trying to pay close attention to my body and its needs, but as I joked to a friend apparently I need an IV with fluids and food directly into my body to feel good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment