Tuesday, December 28, 2010

July 9, 2011

As of yesterday I am signed up for a half IRONMAN! In this case, IRONWOMAN! It is July 9, 2011. I will be swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56 miles, and running 13.1 miles. Its a crazy race. While its not a full Ironman, it will be the longest race I have ever done and probably ever will do. Paul is fully supportive, which is great, because from what I have learned it will probably involve up to 10 hours a week of training. Luckily, I can do a lot of that at the YMCA while Maggie is in the child watch and Josie is in preschool. There is a running group there 3 days a week that lets you run outside while your kid is in the childcare and I can easily swim or bike there as well. And on Sunday's I can ride outside or run outside during Maggie's nap so that Paul doesn't end up with both kids a lot on the weekends, since I work on Saturday's.

I have some gear to buy, but since I have done 4 sprint tri's I have a decent bike, a helmet, tri shorts, goggles, and Paul got me bike shoes for Christmas. I am planning on learning some more on the fuel I will need while training and during the race to make sure my body holds up and I have the energy I need to take care of the girls and everything else in our lives:)

I will be posting about the ups and downs of training for this event!

3 comments:

  1. There is a group at the Jordan Y called MultiFit...they specifically train for long distance events and many of the coaches are IronMan competitors...I can put you in touch with Doug, the main coach...if you're interested.

    oh...and Good luck! I'll come cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill, I would love to talk to him. I won't be able to work out there of course, but that would be great! Any advice I can get I will take:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I am there for you the entire way--ok, not to run, bike or swim but there mentally :) I would love to come cheer you on as well...you are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete