Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A bump in the road...

Things with my training have been going great! I was following my training program (I am more then a little regimented) and feeling really good. Anyway, last Thursday I rode 22 miles outside for the first time this season. I felt fine during the ride, despite a fall (while stopped) and a bloody knee it was a good day. Then I ran 40 minutes Friday morning and by Friday afternoon my left heel had a hot spot and was swollen and tender. I thought maybe my bike shoes might have rubbed my foot the wrong way since it was the first time I had worn them outside, who knows. I worked at Pearson Ford Saturday (limping a bit) then biked Sunday about 20 miles outside again and it felt fine while I was riding but was even more swollen after wards. I SHOULD have taken Monday off, but I didn't. I swam and then covered the blister and did a spin class at the Y. By the time I finished and got home the blister was HUGE and filled with blood---gross! I could barely walk. I performed minor surgery to drain it and then kept it clean and covered. Tuesday it was much worse! So, I only swam Tuesday because I couldn't even put a shoe on. Then I went to the doctor and found out the spot was infected and if I hadn't come in it probably would have gotten into the bone! YIKES! I am on oral antibiotics and a topical antibiotic cream.

So, I am going to have to treat this week as a "recovery" week and take it easy and only swim, which is nice that I can still swim, but frustrating to me because I hate to miss my training! I am hoping by Sunday or Monday I will be able to run or bike. I just really hope it doesn't come back.

Anyway, that's the latest in the training. It's a bummer for sure, but a minor setback and sometimes these things happen:)

No comments:

Post a Comment